Engineering Specialist Polypropylene/Polyethylene
Location: Houston, TX
Durations: 12 months renewable
Applies engineering expertise in one or more engineering disciplines to solve complex technical problems having significant impact on any of the clients enterprise activities. Represents client in dealings with contractors, licensors, vendors and manufacturers where expert engineering advice is required. Works on complex engineering problems, designs, projects, and reviews engineering work performed by others. May coordinate or direct work of other engineers.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide expert advice and assistance to company design, construction, and maintenance engineers and operating personnel on all matters pertaining to his/her field of experience
- Act as clients representative in dealings with contractors, licensors, vendors, and manufacturers pertaining to his/her field of experience
- Review existing operations within a particular area of expertise to determine potential problems and remedies to existing problems
- Undertake studies and investigations to resolve problems outside the scope of available published literature
- Plan, schedule and provide work direction when required for preparation of studies, designs, processes, reports, technical meetings, workshops, correspondence and related data and assures the efficiency, adequacy and conformance to overall objectives of all phases of complex engineering problems
- Formulate the basis for the resolution of problems in any of several basic or special engineering disciplines by analyzing and evaluating all pertinent data with respect to scope, effect on existing installations, economic impact and other applicable considerations
- Initiate detailed work outline and makes decisions as to basic approaches, processes, or equipment. Perform work for final development of specialized or technical proposals and proposed projects
- Bring all elements of a project together, makes certain that all elements proceed satisfactorily on schedule and initiates corrective action as required
- Discuss, coordinate and resolve problems with personnel throughout company and affiliates, and with outside company organizations
- Ensure that the plan of design, procurement, construction and commissioning of the project is successfully completed addressing the challenges, complexity, and issues of the first in kind project as the biggest complex designed and built in a single phase ever on the globe.
- Support continuous improvement of the Project Management team in order to provide world class project management within and outside of project organization.
- Assure that risk identification and measurement of project risk is an integral part of the project execution planning effort.
- Establish an effective communication with counterparts to ensure smooth development of the project.
- Ensure that Design and Constructability reviews are performed to integrate design and construction considerations assuring a technically complete and constructible design.
- Assure complete participation and alignment of all project participants involved.
- Ensure that Project Execution plan is developed addressing proactive control of project scope, quality, cost and schedule, report on progress, identify deviations, forecast trends, take corrective actions when necessary, promote communications, and coordinate the activities of all participants on the project.
- Review and monitor scope, schedule, quality, and cost on task-by-task basis to focus on project goals.
- Establish and maintain open and continuous lines of communication between project management, owner, contractors, and other project participants.
- Assure compliance with all technical procedures & standards as applicable to the contract and align them with counterpart in contractor as well as within the Organization.
- Ensure implementing of Change management including establishment of protocols, records, analysis, coordination of approval/rejection, implementation, and control of changes.
- Coordinates with engineering discipline lead engineers and/or task force groups to ensure on time completion of work activities and implementation of project control procedures.
- Support preparation of Invitation To Bid (ITB) documents for projects and bids evaluations
- Communicate and ensure alignment with all internal and external stakeholders
- Support in development, updating and propagation of Engineering Standards for application in projects to facilitate building of highly reliable, safe and cost-effective industrial facilities based upon client Standards and Best in class international Standards.
- Ensure timely processing of waiver and clarification requests within the established time frame.
- Ensure knowledge building and sharing of best practices and lessons learned among discipline engineers and their incorporation in engineering standards.
- Support technical bid clarification activities, arrange face-to-face clarification meetings with bidders.
- Support Technical Assurance Audits of projects to ensure that project standards, regulations and project specifications and requirements are followed by the Contractor and ensure timely and satisfactory closure of Audit recommendation findings.
- Assist Procurement team in all procurement activities as required such as establishing Standard Pricing Agreements (SPA).
- Support projects and participate in timely conductance of Value Engineering study workshops. Ensure implementation of accepted Value Engineering ideas during project execution phase.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in an Engineering, plus extensive post-graduate participation in technical seminars, extension courses, and/or industrial research. Preferably M.S. or higher professional engineering degree. Incumbent will normally; have achieved industry recognition through activities on committees of professional societies and industry organizations such as ASME, ASTM, API, AIChE, or others.
- Twelve (12) years applicable experience, including at least five (5) years as an engineer in a
- Experience with Consulting and/or with design offices & EPC companies.
- Experience in participation in Value Engineering Review Workshops.
- Must be able to communicate and comprehend accurately, clearly and concisely in English at a level required to perform the job as outlined.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of engineering practices including scientific and economic principles, calculation methods, design details, and codes, standards and specifications. Must possess good work habits, a strong work ethic, and be able to adhere to company work hours, policies, and standard business etiquette.
- Previous client project experience preferred.
- Strong project management, interpersonal, administrative, planning, communication, analytical negotiation, and problem solving skills.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to translate technical and Project Management skills into business profits.
- Knowledgeable on Engineering related Codes, Standards, Industrial Practices and Regulations.
- Handson experience in managing and coordination of activities with project teams and other external departments, ensuring the procedures, standards and best practices are followed.
- Able to read and understand engineering drawings.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight schedule.